We were both young at one point.
Smaller than my father’s left arm.
Born into the world to see things for ourselves,
To learn new ways and to meet one another.
I grew to the height of our kitchen table
And I’m sure you did the same.
Bigger and bigger we both got until one day
We made it to second grade.
Our teacher sat us at the same table
And we were told to share all our books.
Then there were your eyes.
The eyes that lit me on fire.
Now we’re both in college,
Learning things for ourselves.
We’re both bigger than my kitchen table
And my father’s left arm.
The memory of your eyes from the first day I met you
Has never once left my thoughts.
And every time I look into them now
Or feel your soft lips on mine,
I remember second grade when our teacher
Sat us at the same table,
And we were told to share our books.
And then there were your eyes.
The eyes that lit me on fire.
No comments:
Post a Comment